Fireworks can be an awesome way to celebrate holidays, weddings, birthday parties, sporting events and other special occasions. Whether lighting a few sparklers or a full aerial display, Fireworks Safety precautions can keep your fireworks experience safe and enjoyable for everyone.
Below are some tips for safe handling, use and disposal of fireworks:
- Fireworks should only be used outdoors.
- Know your fireworks; Read all caution labels before igniting.
- Wear any safety gear that is recommended for the fireworks you are using.
- Only light one firework at a time.
- Always have water readily available and a safety plan in the event of an accident.
- Never relight a firework that has not functioned as expected. Wait 15 minutes and thoroughly soak with water.
- Soak spent fireworks with water. Dispose of used fireworks in a fire resistant garbage can away from buildings and any flammable substances or materials.
- Obey local laws. Obtain firework permits where required. Do not use fireworks where explicitly forbidden.
- Parents should always supervise any minor who is using fireworks.
- Do not drink alcohol while using fireworks. Any impairment has the potential to become a dangerous impairment.
- Do not repurpose or assemble homemade fireworks or illegal explosives. This is a very dangerous practice. Manufacturing fireworks should be left to licensed professionals.
- Report illegal explosives, like M-80s and quarter sticks.
If you have any other questions or concerns regarding the proper usage or disposal of fireworks, we are happy to address them with you, so stop in one of our stores and say hello!
OTHER FIREWORK SAFETY RESOURCES
For information regarding the safe transportation of fireworks, visit our Transporting page. We’ll walk you through the DO’s and DON’Ts!
For more information and tips on fireworks safety, visit the National Council on Fireworks Safety at www.fireworkssafety.org